The CfSE professors, staff, and students are involved in a number of outreach activities including
- Involving undergraduate and high school students in the laboratories to do renewable energy research. This includes partnering with the UCI California Alliance for Minority Participation in Science, Engineering, and Mathematics (CAMP) program, the NSF-sponsored Alliance for Graduate Education and the Professoriate (AGEP) Summer Research Program, the California State Summer School for Mathematics & Science (COSMOS-UC Irvine) program, and the Center Director's high school outreach program.
- Volunteering in the local community. The CfSE is collaborating with the Discovery Science Center (DSC) to create a permanent renewable energy exhibit for the DSC. The DSC is located in Santa Ana, CA and has events and programs for local students. CfSE students also participate in Science Saturdays with Fullerton Community College.
- Facilitiating scientific interactions and disseminating scientific results. The researchers in the CfSE actively publish their research results in peer-reviewed scientific journals and present at local and international conferences.
- Organizing topical conferences and workshops in solar energy. The professors and staff of the CfSE help organize and chair the following conferences: Clean Technology 2010, Gordon Research Conference Renewable Energy: Solar Fuels, Gordon Research Conference Electrochemistry, SPIE Solar Energy + Technology, and International Colloquium on Environmentally Preferred Advanced Power Generation (ICEPAG).
- Creating an environment for students to learn and discuss the current scientific issues of solar energy. Twice a month, members of the CfSE get together to hear presentations about research and topics relating to solar energy. Please see below for the schedule and pictures.
Biweekly Solar Lunch Group 2012 Schedule:
Time: 12:00 pm, Location: Natural Sciences II, 1201
|Jan. 9||Wes Cramer (Heyduk Group)||Donor Acceptor Complexes Based on Redox Active Ligands|
|Jan. 23||Mark Gibbs (Law Group)||Dissecting the Enhanced Performance of the PbS/ZnO Nanocrystal Solar Cells Using Atomic Layer Deposition|
|Feb. 6||Sara Adams (Ragan Group)||Non-Lithographic Planar Assembly of Au Nanoparticle Clusters on Copolymer Templates for Enhanced Electromagnetic Fields|
|March 5||Amir Mazaheripour (Gorodetsky Group)||Implications of bottom-up graphene nanoribbons to the rational design of organic photovoltaics|
|March 19||Sean Seefeld (Law Group)||Pyrite Thin Film Heterojunctions|
|April 9||James Tiang (Hemminger Group)||Metal/TiO2 Nanocomposites Via Photoreduction|
|April 23||Amanda Weber (Law Group)||Iron Pyrite thin Film Processing Using Molecular Precursor Inks|
|May 7||Wendong Xing (Penner Group)||Making Better Photodetectors and Photon Sources Using Nanogaps|
|May 21||Anthony Burke (Gorodetsky Group)||Nanostructured Organic Solar Cell Active Layers Inspired by DNA and Protein DNA Interactions|
|June 4||Moritz Liminsel (Law Group)||Electrical Transport in Iron Pyrite|